Nowadays, no matter during working hours or leisure time we have to use smart phones and computers. Our eyes are required to concentrate on those devices and you may encounter the followings problems:
Pain, tiredness, burning or itching of the eyes
• Dry or watery eyes
• Blurred or double vision
• Pain in neck, shoulder or back pain
• Increase sensitivity to light
• Trouble on focusing
• Difficulty to keep the eyes open
5 tips to keep your eyes healthy
1. Starting from your diet
There are many nutrients can maintain good health on your eyes. Omega 3, Lutein, Zinc, Vitamin A, C and E might help to reduce age-related vision problems like cataract and macular degeneration. Studies have shown the following foods might maintain your eyes healthy:
• Green leafy vegetables e.g. spinach, kale
• Salmon, tuna and other oily fish
• Eggs, nuts, beans
• Orange or other citrus fruits/juices
2. Smoking cessation
Smoking is likely to increase the risk of macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataract and ocular dryness. It may also lead to vision loss or blindness. Each cigarette contains many toxic chemicals which can damage the optic nerve and ocular vascular and also cause dry eyes and itching.
3. Wear sunglasses
If your eyes are exposed too much ultraviolet (UV) rays, the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration will be increased. Therefore, you should wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from excessive sun’s UV rays. You should choose a pair of sunglasses which can block 99% to 100% ultraviolet rays (both UVA and UVB).
4. Correct ways to use computer
When you focus on the computer screen for a long period of time, you may have blurred vision, dry eyes or eye fatigue. You should protect your eyes by following these rules:
• Adjust the screen to the position which the top of the monitor is level with your eyes.
• Avoid glare from windows and lights. Make sure the brightness of the monitor is optimized.
• When your eyes too dry, blink more to allow tears moisturize your eye
• Get your eyes rest for every 20 minutes and relax them with looking at something for more than 6 meters away. You should take a 15 minutes break after 2 hours working on the computer.
5. Regular eye check
You should have regular eye check to ensure your glasses is up to dated and discover eye disease.Most of the eye disease does not have any symptoms until very late stage. You should exam your eyes annually.